When I graduated college I thought I’d be making great pay in no time and my dreams of traveling the world would be coming true.
However, I graduated in 2007 and entered the workforce during the Great Recession and waffled on what career path I wanted to take. So let’s just say the big bucks aren’t rolling in at this point. But, I am doing something I love and all my career searching gave me some amazing experiences I wouldn’t trade for any pile of money.
I have been fortunate that I’ve kept traveling; even if not as frequently as I dreamed of. So that means after years of attempting to escape home I’m now working on building a little cocoon for myself and my family. A place that we can call home, but also feels like a world away. A place that recharges and relaxes us.
So, we have been chipping away at projects over the two years in our home and I have big plans for this year.
This year’s goal is to get our closets organized. We’ve been inspired by all those empty hotel closets and drawers and the well-curated collections you see in magazines. You know, the ones that look more like an art collection than a wardrobe.
The Container Store and Target have been our go-to places for cute organization systems that fit with our décor or the décor we hope to start establishing in said room. It has to be functional, make it easy to find anything we are looking for and take good care of our clothes. We’ve made progress in the master bedroom, but now we have to tackle the little munchkin’s chaos.
A few of our favorites so far for organizing our chaos . . .
- Lynk Vela Over-the-Door Shoe Shelves – Target.com $24.99
- Wide Underbed Drawer – Containerstore.com $24.99
- InterDesign 16 Loop Over-the-Door Scarf Holder – Target.com $7.99
- Platinum elfa Mesh Start-A-Stack – Containerstore.com $119.00
When we bought our current home we were really excited to finally have a space for lounging that is tucked away, out of sight when visitors stop by. When we moved in things sort of got cobbled together and I haven’t had much time to think about what I want the space to look like. My Pinterest board is a place to start, but this year I hope to really focus in on it and make it a really special place for our family.
That means a few construction projects for the hubby 🙂
- Hemnes Sofa Table – ikea.com $219.00
- Carson 5-Shelf Bookcase with doors – Target,com $129.99
- Threshold Turquoise Chunky Knit Throw – Target.com $24.99
- Stocksund Armchair, Nolhaga dark gray – ikea.com $349.00
During my MBA, the office became tiny catch-all room. This year, the plan is to design an escape where we can go to be creative, get inspired, and get things done.
- Bookcase Grey 5 Shelf – Target.com $149.99
- Happy Wood Panel – Target.com $19.99
- Threshold Parsons Desk with drawers – Target.com $169.99
- Gray Portland Twilight – Valspar
- Purple Lavender Bliss – Clark + Kensington
- Hudson Swoop Chair – Target.com $199.99
Any big projects planned for the year?